
That Can Do Spirit!

Support!
The founding of Five Dot Ranch

Support!
Eagle Lake, 1915

“To the west of Spalding lies what is known as the ‘Lava Bed county,” about seven miles long and three or four miles wide. This is the wildest region in this section, and excepting the vegetation, it is almost as when the lava first cooled. It is full of caverns, wells and cracks, one of the latter being five miles long and three to twenty feet wide. In one place it has been sounded to a depth of 160 feet and no bottom found. In this crack there is an ice cave where plenty of ice may be obtained any year until August and some years throughout the entire summer.”
Support!
It’s Official, It’s Open

Subscribe!
Pine Creek Millsite?

When the Fruit Growers Supply Company gave serious thought in locating a second mill in Lassen County they were initially perplexed as to where to locate it. The timber they examined was to the west of Eagle Lake. They wanted a mill in the center of the timber to reduce the freight costs. Continue reading Pine Creek Millsite?
Susanville – 30 South Roop Street

These new stores also changed the appearance of the town. In the spring of 1940, Cliff Gledhill, moved a historic 1870s residence from 30 South Roop, to the farthest end of that street. Shortly thereafter, construction began on a small concrete building on the vacant lot he created. On May 22, 1940, Gledhill opened the doors there to his new enterprise, a Western Auto Store. Over the years, the building has had many occupants. Seasoned residents will know it as the office of Dr. C.I. Burnett, and for the past few decades it has been the CPA office of Carol J. Curry.
Support!
Hotel Mt. Lassen Fire

Support!
Eagle & Willow Creek Valley Schools

Just a follow up on some documentation. As noted in the post of the Eagle Lake School, it closed in 1937. It was not until 1940 when the school was annexed to nearby Willow Creek School District. That school closed in 1946, and in 1950 all that territory of the two districts were annexed to Susanville.
Support!
Jensen Barn

Over the course of time the region has seen a wide variety of barn styles. Some had lasted through time and others not, for one reason or another.
In 1864, a German immigrant, Jurgen Jensen located in Susanville, where entered into a partnership with William Brockman, to operate a blacksmith shop. In the ensuing years, the two men, went off on their own, each locating on property along Johnstonville Road.
In 1891, Jensen had a large three-story barn built on his ranch. On September 11, 1923, the barn was destroyed by fire and it was believed to be caused by spontaneous combustion. Stored inside was 200 tons of hay, valued at that time around $3,500. The barn was insured for $1,500, but it was not enough to cover the cost to replace it.