Tag Archives: Eagle Lake

Gallatin Beach, Eagle Lake

Gallatin Beach and Peak, July 1960.

Long before Gallatins appeared on the scene the south shore of Eagle Lake was a popular gathering place during the summer. A perfect example appeared in the columns of the Lassen Advocate newspaper of July 11, 1874: “Quite a number of our citizens spent their fourth at Eagle Lake, where they had fine times, fishing, hunting, sailing, etc.”

On August 1, 1886, Sacramento businessman, Albert Gallatin purchased 165 acres on Eagle Lake’s south shore from George Nelson for $400. In the next two years Gallatin would purchase 4,962 acres in the Eagle Lake basin, owning not quite all the shoreline property what we refer to today as Eagle’s Nest to Bucks Point. The property was used for summer livestock grazing in-conjunction with a ranch he owned in Tehama County.

Eagle Lake Campers, circa 1916—D.M. Durst

Fast forward to 1913, Gallatin’s widow, Malvena built the first summer home at Eagle Lake, which is now part of Camp Ronald McDonald. Malvena had entertained from time to time either lease camp sites or other developments at the south shore, but never followed through. In July 1924 Malevna wrote to Lassen County officials to protest a proposed timber tax: “The public has been allowed access to these lands for camping, bathing, boating, and fishing at all times. The Gallatin Beach and a large part of the shoreline property has been used for years by the public. It might be called a public playground.”

Tomorrow the Gallatin House Effect

Support

Land Exchange Act of 1922

Eagle Lake, February 1985—“Matt” Mattinson

This was a unique piece of legislation, that in certain ways attempted to correct the problem of the Timber & Stone Act of 1878. It was designed specifically for the U.S. Forest Service to consolidate holdings due to the fact that many of the forest service lands were intermingled with private holdings, most of which were held by lumber companies. Once the timber was harvested by the lumber companies, those lands in their opinion, along with the county tax assessor were deemed worthless. To provide a way for the forest service to obtain them, they could offer timber land, and in many cases, rights to timber for a purportedly equal value. This process created the Lassen National Forest we know today. In the future, we will examine some interesting exchanges, one of which is why the south shore of Eagle Lake is public, not private land.

Spread the word, and encourage a friend to subscribe.

Timber & Stone Act, 1878

A Red River Lumber Company timber cruiser—Hank Martinez

Most of the timberlands in Lassen and Modoc Counties were acquired by a federal land patent known as the Timber & Stone Act of 1878. This Congressional Act allowed individuals to purchase up to 160 acres at a minimum of $2.50 per-acre without being subjected to preemption and homestead laws.It was designed to prevent timber companies and speculators from obtaining large tracts of timberlands, it had, in reality, exactly the opposite effect.

In 1902, the United States Government Land Office created a land rush when it offered Northern California timberlands for sale on the open market. Newspapers in Northern California featured stories how “timber grabbers get all they want.” As the Portland Oregonian wrote: “It is also evident to most people that the present methods of handling our timberland will soon result in putting them all in possession of the lumbering corporations or speculators.”

In 1903, 88,000 acres—primarily timberland—had been added to the Lassen County tax roll. In the spring of that year D.G. Curtis and T.D. Collins of Pennsylvania were buying individual 160-acre timber tracts west of Eagle Lake. By the end of May they owned 41,461 acres of timberland at a cost at $189,410. The property became known as the Collins Tract which was transferred to the Pennsylvania Lumber Company, which had no immediate plans for it, other than speculation.

Support

It’s Swim Time at Eagle Lake

Bathers at the south shore of Eagle Lake, 1920–Ardis B. Doyle

It is that time of year, and the south shore of Eagle Lake is quite popular these days since the only campgrounds open on the Lassen National Forest are located there.

In June 1916, Robert M. Cook of the Lassen Weekly Mail thought something should be done for the safety of bathers there. Cook wrote: “If the present warm weather continues it will only be a short time until the bathing season commences at Eagle Lake and we wish to call attention to certain conditions there that should be improved. Life lines, light rafts and bare bottom boats should be provided so that assistance can go quickly to the aid of the bather who gets into difficulty. The lack of those things means the loss of life sooner or later. While bathing at Eagle Lake is safer than at the average beach there is always danger that swimmers will be seized by cramps and a very few minutes while onlookers are confused and seeking means of assistance no loss of life.” While it was a admirable gesture no one heeded Cook’s advice.

Spread the word, and encourage a friend to subscribe

Tunnel Bay, Eagle Lake

Dodge’s Bay, Eagle Lake, 1916

Dodge’s Bay or Tunnel Bay was located on the east side of Eagle Lake about a mile north of Bly Tunnel. This was to be the initial inlet to Capt. Merrill’s 1875 tunnel and work on it was focused on the Willow Creek side. In 1892, the Eagle Lake Land & Irrigation Company embarked on ambition plan to tap Eagle Lake. The began working on Merrill’s tunnel from both sides, as one can see the inlet in the above photograph. E.R. Dodge was one of the principal figures behind the company hence the name Dodge’s Bay.

No water in the bay when this was taken on November 8, 1941. One can barely see the intake canal. Photograph courtesy of Hank Martinez

Never miss a story, click here to subscribe.

Those plucky bondholders

Grant Smith’s tunnel works, Eagle Lake, 1922–Courtesy of Lola L. Tanner

A month had not even passed since the grand celebration held at Litchfield for the completion of the Bly Tunnel at Eagle Lake, that things were not good. Grant Smith & Company of Seattle, Washington was the contractor to build the tunnel. In June 1923, the company asked for a special meeting with the Baxter Creek and Tule Irrigation Districts who financed the $1.25 million project with bonds. Grant Smith informed those gathered they experienced a number of problems during construction and requested that they leave and return in the fall after irrigation season to correct the defects. The bondholders said no. They sensed if they allowed Grant Smith to even leave temporarily, the odds of them returning were nil. The situation would turn real ugly over the next year with some startling revelations that would in part doom the whole irrigation enterprise.

Subscribe

What a Difference A Year Makes

Pine Creek Fish Trap Dam, April 10,, 2020

This is an interesting metaphor considering what and how we moved about and lived a year ago. This is a bit of diversion. Pine Creek, Eagle Lake’s main tributary, can be raging torrent or almost non-existent. The comparison of 2019 and 2020 run-off is a perfect example.

Pine Creek Fish Trap Dam, April 4, 2019

Eagle Lake’s Butte Colony

Frances Cartwright Fritter—Courtesy of Rev. C.R. Fritter

Long before the Spalding or Stones Subdivisions, the lake’s population center was on the northeast side, though no one resides there today. In the 1880s saw an influx of Butte County residents making this their new home—Cartwright, Eddy, Fritter, Sorensen and last but not least the Troxels. The Troxels, of course, purchased the W.S. Davis ranch, which place had become a well established stage stop, the property many know today as the former Stone Ranch. Jim Fritter, the family patriarch left an indelible footprint in the area’s history as a Lassen County Supervisor. It is interesting to note the Troxel name lives on two jettison points on the lake, a member of the Fritter family still retains ownership of the original family homestead.

Fritter Ranch, Eagle Lake, 1921. Courtesy of Lola L. Tanner

The so-called Butte Colony was short-lived. Within a ten year span it had dwindled down to Fritter and Troxel. Cartwright’s whose homestead located between Fritter and Troxel became a contentious issue with Udell’s proposed scheme to tap Eagle Lake, but that is a whole different story.

Spread the word, and encourage a friend to subscribe.

Meteor Mining Company

The 1902 Hanson Mining Claim

Most people may not realize that there was a lot of gold mining east of Eagle Lake extending from Gallatin Peak, Green’s Peak and Round Valley. The mining discovery occurred in the early 1870s, and Wright P. Hall had an extensive tunnel on Gallatin Peak in 1879. Many years later, my grandmother Lola Murrer Tanner (1899-1973) who grew up in nearby Willow Creek Valley made a reference of a lost valuable gold mine in that area with a reference to Gallatin Peak. There were others over the years that shared the same belief.

In the summer of 1935, two prospectors, Paul Olsen and Joe Weatherman, who had spent the last few years in that area, believed they finally found the lost mine. Among the items found was an old cabin, where there was some ore, along with an old tunnel 140 feet in length. Of course, they were sly not to reveal the exact location. They immediately formed the Meteor Mining Company. Their next obstacle was to secure a 200 acre lease from the Red River Lumber Company who owned the majority of the property in that region. Whether they succeeded is not known.

A few years back, I went in search of the Hanson Mine of the early 1900s, that fits the description of Olson and Weatherman’s find. However, between fires and logging the site may have been obliterated.

A granite outcropping common in that region.

Subscribe

Pine Creek Estuary

November 9, 1941 — Hank Martinez

It is that time of year when Pine Creek usually starts flowing again into Eagle Lake, but with this dry winter, it may not be the case. While many people see the creek at the bridge before entering Spaulding Tract or at the nearby fish trap, it still has a way to go before it reaches the lake. Thus, today’s featured photograph provides a good illustration of that fact.

Pine Creek
Pine Creek Estuary, July, 1973

Subscribe