Tag Archives: Red River Lumber Company

A Burney-Little Valley Railroad?

Burney, circa 1940

During the 1930s, Red River Lumber Company’s, Westwood Operation was going through tumultuous times. The one bright spot, and its biggest asset was the Burney Tract of eastern Shasta. It consisted of 83,000 acres with an estimated 2 billion board feet of timber. That’s a lot of wood.

The problem with Burney it was not accessible by rail. In 1936, a proposition was floated internally by Red River management to correct the situation. There were, of course, two obstacles the distance and the natural barrier of Hat Creek Rim. To bypass Hat Creek it was suggested to branch off the Western Pacific Railroad at Little Valley (in northwest Lassen County south of Bieber). Problem solved, or some thought. Then a family feud ensued that logs would be shipped all the way to Westwood to be milled. There were two train of thoughts, one to keep Westwood going and the other Westwood had run its course and time to shutter. Neither side prevailed. Sheer economics won, when it would cost to pay Western Pacific toll fee to haul the logs from Little Valley to Westwood was thirty cents per car mile—way too expensive. The project would be resurrected again, with a different, and closer departure point, which will be examined in a future post.

Spread the word, and encourage a friend to subscribe

Fire (Suppression) Trains

Westwood's Fire Train courtesy of Doug Luff
Westwood’s Fire Train courtesy of Doug Luff

It is interesting to note that the Union Pacific Railroad has a fire train, which was deployed during the recent (2020) North Complex fire, or more specifically that of the Claremont Fire near Quincy, Many may not realize, the Red River Lumber Company had their own fire train.

The winter of 1923-24,  was one of the driest on record in California. That summer another record would be broken–forest fires. It was June, 1924, when the Red River Lumber Company having been in operation for over a decade experienced its first major forest fire. The fire broke out at Chester Flats between Camps 34 and 38 and burned a narrow strip of land, eight miles in length. Red River’s loss was minimal as the fire burned recently logged over land and the only significant damage was 500 cords of wood burned along 1,000 feet of railroad track. Red River considered its biggest loss was to the men fighting the fire which cost the company a $1,000 a day in wages, and it took a week to contain the fire.

Continue reading Fire (Suppression) Trains

A Red River Fish Story

The dam at Walker Lake—-David Zoller

In October 1931, the Red River Lumber Company disclosed a whopper of a fish story. First a little background. In the summer of 1922, Red River built the Indian Ole dam on Hamilton Branch just a short distance south of Westwood. The main purpose was to provide water power for a hydro-electric plant located along Hamilton Branch where it enters Lake Almanor. The newly formed reservoir created by the dam was officially named Mountain Meadows Reservoir, but the locals referred to it as Walker Lake. Whatever the case may be, fish flourished there, especially catfish.

Walker Lake aka Mountain Meadows Reservoir—David Zoller

In mid-October 1931, Red River needed to drain the reservoir to make some necessary changes and repairs to the dam. Of course, lots of catfish were sent cascading down Hamilton Branch, or so everyone thought. It turned out the catfish decided to take a short cut and went down to the penstock that feeds the power plant. All of a sudden the turbines at the plant came to an abrupt stop. Upon investigation, it turned out the turbines were clogged with catfish, and a lot. When things were all said and done there was a pile of catfish that measured twelve feet square and five feet deep. A new control gate was installed so that in the future, all fish would be detoured to the natural channel of Hamilton Branch.

Spread the word, and encourage a friend to subscribe

Lassen Lumber & Box No. 25

Lassen Lumber & Box Company No. 25—-Tom Armstrong

Something a bit different, but over the course of time we will explore the various locomotives in the railroad logging operations of the region. Lassen Lumber & Box was a relatively small operation when compared to it neighbors Fruit Growers and Red River. In addition, its railroad logging operation only lasted a decade starting in the 1919 season.

In 1923, Lassen Lumber purchased a brand new Baldwin locomotive they numbered the 25. It seemed only fitting to have this go with their new logging camp Lasco on the north side of Peg Leg Mountain. But the good times did not last long and by 1929 the company would abandon logging due to a dwindling timber supply compounded by glut of lumber on the market. They sold the No. 25 to the Red River.Lumber Company. In 1938, Red River in turn sold the No. 25 to  Modesto & Empire Traction Company. What became of it after that, I do not know.

Support

A Company Town in Transition

Birch Street, Westwood. Courtesy of Hank Martinez

In 1912, when Red River Lumber Company began construction of its company town of Westwood, Lassen County officials did not know what quite to expect. Lassen County had experience with planned communities, such as Standish, but none of these proposals ever came to full frutition that the promoters envisioned. Westwood was entirely a different proposition. County officials were relieved that all of this development would not only cost the county any money, but its tax base mushroomed beyond their wildest dreams. The county was spared every expense, even the deputy sheriff, Red River paid that salary.

The good times would not last forever. By the early 1930s Red River was in a serious financial crisis. The days of a company town would soon only exist as a memory. Red River’s company owned businesses would be no more, those enterprises leased to outsiders. In the fall of 1934, Red River and Lassen County began working on the transition wherein the county would be responsible in maintaining the streets of Westwood. On November 10, 1934 Red River deeded over the streets of Westwood to the County of Lassen, however for reasons unknown the county did not accept the deed until September 1935.

Spread the word, and encourage a friend to subscribe

Loyal Legion of Loggers and Lumbermen

The Red River Lumber Company’s Time Clock, 1915—Otto Kratz Collection

The Loyal Legion of Loggers and Lumbermen, also known as the 4Ls was a unique government intervention to get sawmill operators and their workers to work together during World War I. This unique labor organization was created due to a
lumber strike of the Pacific Northwest that crippled the production of spruce lumber. This commodity was essential for its strength and flexibility in airplane construction and the government was in dire need of the aircraft.

When the War Department intervened it was able to get both
the mill operators and lumber workers to work together as a patriotic association. Concessions were made by mill operators to provide for an eight-hour day and better working and living conditions. In return the employees were required to sign a loyalty pledge. Those who refused to sign the pledge were not hired. In essence, the 4Ls was a government
sponsored union.


After the War the 4Ls reorganized and it remained a regional
organization of the Pacific Northwest. It was the American Federation of Labor that was the main rival of the 4Ls.  It had problems competing with the 4Ls since the latter was a de facto “company union.” The company’s management were members of the 4Ls and basically dictated the organization. This had great appeal to Red River Lumber Company. In July 1933 Red River joined the 4Ls, and Ted Walker, a member of Red River’s management served on its Board of Directors. It was short-lived when Congress approved the Wagner Act that allowed the labor movement and union formation more clout.

Spread the word, and encourage a friend to subscribe

Lake Almanor Timber Land Exchange

By the late 1930s, the Red River Lumber Company had exhausted most of its timber tributary to Westwood. Red River officials consulted with the Lassen National Forest about a possible exchange of cut-over lands for timber rights on Forest Service lands, which could be done under the accordance of of the Land Exchange Act of 1922. The Forest Service considered the exchange program beneficial in the long range for future recreational aspects for the public and also for the re-growth of the forests. A deal was struck and on January 21, 1941, Red River deeded over some 50,000 acres adjacent to Lake Almanor and Butt Valley to the Forest Service in exchange for 50 million board feet of timber in the Moonlight district, east of Westwood.

Camp 38
Camp 38, Red River Lumber Company, 1922. It was located on the east shore of Lake Almanor. Courtesy of R.S. Pershing

Subscribe

Camp Harvey Water Tower

Camp Harvey, July 11, 2019

Last summer, in one of those “Where are We” segments was Camp Harvey. While I provided details about the old railroad. logging camp, I neglected to state why the old water is even in existence. When the Fruit Growers Supply Company abruptly shutdown the camp in the spring of 1949, they were in hurry to move the portable buildings to a new location. The days of railroad logging and their counterpart camps were quickly fading on the horizon. Fruit Growers had reached an agreement with Shasta Forest, who managed the property for the heirs of the Red River Lumber Company, that they could take their time in removing the structures. Most all of the logging cabins and related structures were removed in 1952. It was mutually agreed to keep the water tank tower with its 10,000 gallon redwood water tank, along with the pumping house and pipes in place for fire protection.

Spread the word, and encourage a friend to subscribe

Some One Has A Keen Eye

log train Camp B
Train load of logs leaving Camp B, Fruit Growers Supply Company, 1922

A reader noticed recently the logs depicted above where on railroad flat cars belonging to the Red River Lumber Company. Fruit Growers found it to be more economical to lease flat cars from the Southern Pacific Railroad, who transported the same from Westwood Junction to the Fruit Grower’s mill in Susanville. Fruit Growers initial operations in the early 1920s, experienced a flat car shortage with Southern Pacific. Red River being a good neighbor obliged to provide Fruit Growers with flat cars until the matter could be resolved with Southern Pacific.

Another point I might add, the above was not a typical load of logs. These type of images, are common among lumber companies. They were used to show investors, bankers and the lot the most premium logs, to show them where the money was being spent. In Fruit Growers case, this photograph would be published in a portfolio to show the citrus growers where their money was used to provide them wooden boxes to ship citrus.

Support

Camp 33 aka Town Camp

Camp 33
Camp 33

Red River operated numerous logging camps from 1913 through 1944 when it sold to Fruit Growers. The camps were assigned numbers, though in no particular order. The majority of the camps were short lived and only had a span of one to maybe three years. One of the more interesting camps was Camp 33, but referred to as Town Camp, as it was located less than a mile west of Westwood. What made it unique was that Red River’s company town of Westwood would experience from time to time a housing shortage for its employees. On occasion, this camp was used to house mill workers instead of loggers.

Spread the word, and encourage a friend to subscribe.