Category Archives: History

Adins Turns 150!

Adin 1879
Adin, 1879

If you have not made any plans for the weekend, you might want to head north to Adin for its 150th birthday celebration on June 29 and 30.

For those not familiar, Adin is located just a mile north of the Lassen County line in Modoc County, Adin benefited from Lassen County’s largest mining town of Hayden Hill, located twelves miles to the south.

As a matter of fact in the same year that Adin was founded in 1869, gold was discovered at Hayden Hill. It should be noted that Adin’s founder and its namesake, Adin McDowell, was a member of the prospecting party that discovered the gold at Hayden Hill.

When times were good at Hayden Hill, they were even better at Adin. By 1877, Adin was the largest town in Modoc County. In addition, it was only second to Susanville in the amount of business transactions conducted in Northeastern California.

Never miss a story, click here to subscribe.

Johnstonville Methodist Church

DM Creamery
Diamond Mountain Creamery, Johnstonville, 1897. To the far right, the church is visible.

The Methodist Church at Johnstonville has been a challenge to research. Recently, I came across a transcribed letter dated January 19, 1961 that Ada Hart wrote to Gladys Bass that primarily focused on the history of the Baptist Church at Johnstonville. Thankfully, Ada briefly wrote about the nearby Methodist Church. She wrote that it was built in 1889, along the Susan River, east of the bridge on property owned by Peter Scholl. Ada recalled attending the church there, and that the Susanville pastor was in charge of the services that were held at three in the afternoon. How long it remained in operation and what became of the church, I do not know.

Subscribe

A New Susanville School

The grammar school, 1915. Courtesy of Royce Houston

On June 2, 1899, the voters of the Susanville School District approved a $12,500 bond measure to build a new school, to replace the existing two-story wooden structure built in 1873. It would be a slow process for a new school to become a reality. First, it took some time to find a buyer for the bonds. Then there was a question whether to retain the same location or move to somewhere else. In December 1899, it was decided to remain where the existing school was, but to purchase an adjoining vacant lot to enlarge the school grounds. In March 1900, the District awarded the contract to build a two-story brick building to Reno contractor, C.E. Clough. It is interesting to note, that four substantial brick buildings were constructed at the same time, the Emerson Hotel, Methodist Church and Oakes &Philbrook Furniture Store.

Subscribe

Eagle’s Peak Ski Resort

A portion of the resort’s brochure.

This short-lived ski resort was the brain child of Ernest “Ernie” Forbes, and Austrian skier. Forbes established Eagle’s Peak in 1971, in one of the more peculiar places, near Doyle. As the late Paul Herman informed me that Forbes always wanted his own ski hill. In a 1972 interview Forbes stated “Started a dream that is becoming more and more a reality everday.” He designed the entire operation with the first slope for beginner and intermediate skiers that according to Forbes to accommodate 150-200 skiers at a time. Of course, Forbes offered skiing lessons, since he had been a ski instructor at various resorts in the west. Other amenities included a snack bar, ski rentals and even a free shuttle service on weekends and holidays. Of course, Forbes had grandiose plans of a modern lodge, advanced ski runs and so forth, none ever materialized. Records are rather sketchy but it remained in operation until the early 1980s.

Subscribe

The Gallatin/Fritter Agitators

Gallatin Beach
Gallatin Beach, Eagle Lake, 1940.

For a sixty-year period the Lassen County Superior Court routinely dealt with law suits involving Eagle Lake issues. Of course, the majority of these involved the various enterprises to tap the lake for irrigation. In the late 1920s, court filings were numerous as the local banks filed on foreclosures of the numerous ranchers of the Tule & Baxter Creek Irrigation Districts who defaulted on their loans on the failed Bly Tunnel.

It was in 1932 that witnessed an unusual lawsuit filed by Malvena Gallatin and James Fritter, both Eagle Lake property owners. Malvena was the leading figure and to give credence brought in Eagle Lake resident Fritter. In the complaint it alleged the districts were wasting Eagle Lake water, due to the leakage at the tunnel during the non-irrigation season. It was their contention that fifty percent of the winter run-off was lost through the tunnel, since the districts did not have properly installed head gates. Malvena stressed the recreational value of the lake would depreciate dramatically if the districts continued to waste the lake water.

Not divulged was Malvena had an ulterior motive. She had entered into agreement to sell her Eagle Lake property to a group who had plans to develop a million dollar resort at the lake, whereby Malvena would receive $500,000. A stipulation to the sale was that she had to guarantee that the districts would not lower the lake any further. She did not succeed. The litigation dragged on and the lake level dropped even more. When the judgement was entered on April 17, 1936, she had already lost her option to sell her property. In addition, she lost the case. The court cited that both Gallatin and Fritter had entered into agreements with Leon Bly that allowed the irrigation system to draw forty feet below the 1917 level of the lake, and when they commenced the action the lake level had only dropped twenty-four feet.

Fritter Ranch, Eagle Lake, 1921. Courtesy of Lola L. Tanner

Never miss a story, click here to subscribe.

Kings Creek Falls

Kings Creek Falls, 1908–Sifford Collection

For those ambitious folks out there this summer you might want to include Kings Creek Falls in Lassen Volcanic National Park on your expedition list. Those familiar with Lassen Park, one of the major picnic areas on the Loop Highway is Kings Creeks Meadows. The creek, meadows and waterfall was so named for James and Jane King who in the 1870s had a squatters claim to the property, but never followed through the federal land patent process to acquire it. In 1879, their son Oscar was born at the meadows, making one, if not the first Anglo born child in what is known as Lassen Park today.

Never miss a story, click here to subscribe.

June Snowstorms

North Roop Street, Susanville, 1931. Courtesy of B.R. Zimmerman Collection

While we do have the tendecy to think that winter is behind with the official start of summer, weather wise in these parts anything can and does happen. After all, many have encountered snowstorms over Memorial Day during the opening of fishing season at Eagle Lake. As a general rule of thumb, that is usually the last snow of the season. However, freak snowstorms can occur in the region during June, like 1907 and 1931.

Constantia, June 21, 1907

Support

The Grave of Jesse Cole

The wooden marker for Jesse Cole, Susanville Cemetery, November 1977.

When Susanville resident Jesse Cole died in 1898, it marked the last time when a wooden marker was placed in the Susanville Cemetery. The elements has taken its toll, and soon it will be obliterated.

Jesse Cole settled at Milford in 1862 from his native Missouri. During the late 1860s he moved to Napa, California. In the early 1880s he moved to Susanville. As for a occupation he spent his life a day laborer, working different jobs on a regular basis. Prior to his death, he was serving as Justice of the Peace, Township No. 1.

The wooden marker for Jesse Cole, Susanville Cemetery, May 18, 2019

Support

Where are we?

June 15, 2019

This is a perfect time to get out in the woods to do some exploring. There is water every where and the meadows are as green as can be. The one drawback is the mosquitos. This small body of water is along Highway 44, but it is not what you think it is.

Never miss a story, click here to subscribe.

Susanville Bans Fireworks

Ravendale Fourth of July Parade

In Susanville’s early years as an incorporated city, it was remarkable what the council did. One of their actions, I still support today, and that is the prohibition of fireworks. The first time they banned fireworks was in 1906, following the aftermath of the San Francisco earthquake and fire. It was also a nod to the insurance companies who suffered tremendous loss from that event. It was their belief, as well as many other communities, that this preventive measure would reduce the risk of fires.

In 1912, the City once again banned fireworks. The Lassen Advocate applauded the city and wrote: 21 June 1912 – “No Fireworks on the Fourth. We desire to congratulate our Board of Town Trustees on their action in placing the ban on all kinds of fireworks on July 2, 3, and 4. This action has been taken by large and progressive cities for years past, and we are greatly pleased to note that the smaller places are falling into line. Fireworks do no good and may do a world of harm. Fires may be started that will blot out blocks of cities or towns; little boys and girls all over the United States have lost fingers, hands eyes and in many instances, their lives from the dangerous pinwheel and firecrackers. Let them yell all they will, let them spend their money for ice cream, candy—anything on earth but the fireworks.”

Support