Tag Archives: Westwood

Westwood’s New Dealer

WW New Deal538
The front page. You can click to enlarge the image.

During the late 1930s, Red River Lumber Company was plagued with labor problems. There were be two major strikes, one in 1938 that caused the “purge” and a second the following year.

On January 23, 1939, the local union  published a two-page newsletter called the Westwood New Dealer. In it they cited the January issue of the West Coast Lumbermen. This publication contained an article Best News of the New Year which stated that orders for western pine was up 47% from last year. This is turn meant there would be a substantial increase in logging and manufacturing, which the CIO interpreted as meaning that the lumber industry in general and more particularly Red River would see increased profits. They sent a letter to the local AFL with the following resolution, “That a joint committee of Local 53 and Local 2386 be formed to negotiate wage scale to be effected as soon as possible.

Red River was not amused when they saw the first issue of the Westwood New Dealer. Clinton Walker thought not only it was imperative that they obtain copies of future editions, but equally important to designate someone to answer the “miserable statements” contained in it. Clinton noted that it was true that there had been an increase in orders, but the price for lumber had not increased.

Thus, the stage now set, and the second strike would shut down the mill for over two months. One can learn more about this and other labor issues in Red River: The Turbulent Thirties.

Subscribe!

Our Lady of the Snows

Our Lady of the Snows

When Westwood was established, its Catholic community was a part of the Sacred Heart Parish—it had only been created in 1912 and covered the territory of Lassen and Modoc counties. The first pastor was Father P.J. O’Reilly. There seems to be some confusion as to when the first Mass was celebrated in Westwood. On December 12, 1913, it was reported in the Lassen Weekly Mail: “Father P.J. O’Reilly made the trip to Westwood to attend to spiritual wants of the Catholic Church in the new lumber town.” However, under the heading of Remarks in the Parish Death Register, Father O’Reilly wrote, “Mass was celebrated in Westwood for the first time by Rev. P.J. O’Reilly on 19 April 1914 in the school house situated near the present fire department. Mass is now said in the school situated on the hill facing Delwood Street.” Father also wrote, “The first Catholic funeral that was held in Westwood was on July 24, 1914. The internment was made in the new cemetery, portion of which viz the North East section is devoted to the use of the Catholics who die in and around Westwood for Catholics only. This cemetery is 3 1/2 miles from Westwood.” That internment was for Jose Alvarez, a 22 year-old millworker who died from typhoid fever. Continue reading Our Lady of the Snows

The Floods of 1955

Southern Pacific's railroad trestle at South Lassen Street, December 1955.
Southern Pacific’s railroad trestle at South Lassen Street, December 1955.

The floods of December 1955, locally and throughout California was a notable event to say the least. It began with warm rains on December 15th and by December 20th, 4.41 inches had fallen in Susanville. The snow elevation remained high, and on December 20th there was  21 inches of snow on Fredonyer summit.  The rain continued turning the Susan River into a raging menace. Conditions worsened as the river brought assorted debris with the floodwaters. The debris became a major obstruction when it collided with the Southern Pacific’s railroad trestle at Susanville’s Lassen Street. On December 23rd Marvin D. Coltran, a member of Southern Pacific’s bridge gang fell into the water there. Efforts were made to reach him, but the river’s swift current swept him away. Continue reading The Floods of 1955

Westwood’s First High School

Courtesy of Hank Martinez
The Westwood Grammer and High Schools. Courtesy of Hank Martinez

For nearly twenty years, the Red River Lumber Company’s town of Westwood operated differently than other communities.  Even the public Westwood School District was an unusual creature in the beginning.  Under normal circumstances a school district would issue bonds to finance school construction. Not so in Westwood. Red River built the schools, and leased them to the Lassen County Superintendent of Schools at a nominal cost. Continue reading Westwood’s First High School

Westwood in the movies

Westwood Theater. Courtesy of David Zoller
Westwood Theater. Courtesy of David Zoller

The Red River Lumber Company was unusual in that it did not routinely have commercial films made of its operations, as their competitors did. It was deemed a good business practice to show prospective retail buyers, as well as investors, of one’s operation. In the 1930s, Red River officials debated the issue, particularly as it might be beneficial if forced to sell Westwood. On the other hand Red River’s neighbor the Fruit Growers Supply Company routinely had films made. For them it was important for the citrus growers to see what was involved with their investment.

In the summer of 1928 Caterpillar tractors sent a camera man to Westwood to film Red River Lumber Company’s entire operation–from the falling of trees to finished board. Caterpillar was interested in Red River’s operations. Red River’s skilled machinists were constantly making improvements to Caterpillar tractors. Among old time Red River employees there was the folklore that Red River had more patents on Caterpillar tractors than Caterpillar.  Whatever the case may be, in November 1928 the film made its debut at the Westwood Theater.

It would be interesting to know if the film exist in Caterpillar archives. After all, Fruit Growers had a 1925 film of their Lassen Operation in their archives.

Spread the word, encourage a friend to subscribe.

Pat O’Dea – The Kangaroo Kicker

Pat O'Dea, Courtesy of the University of Wisconsin
Pat O’Dea, Courtesy of the University of Wisconsin

In 1919, Charles J. Mitchell arrived in Westwood like so many before and after him seeking employment. The Red River Lumber Company had high turnover in its workforce and always had openings. Little did Red River know their new hire was a famous football player. Then again, Mitchell used an alias. After all this was in an era, where few people carried any type of identification, and Social Security numbers were non-existent. Continue reading Pat O’Dea – The Kangaroo Kicker

The Pine Tree Newspaper

A portion of the front page, and only known copy that was found in the T.B. Walker papers at the Minnesota Historical Society
A portion of the front page, and only known copy that was found in the T.B. Walker papers at the Minnesota Historical Society. As a reminder, you can click to enlarge the image.

On March 21, 1916, Westwood’s first newspaper The Pine Tree made its debut.  It was a weekly paper that was distributed for free. Leon R. Stanley who was in charge of production, had a background with newspapers in Modoc County. Very little is known about the paper and when it ceased publication.

On August 17, 1917, The Westwood Independent succeeded The Pine Tree. This paper under the helm of G.B. Morrow, who also served as the justice of the peace remained in operation for three years. Stanley again was in the forefront when The Westwood Sugar Pine which eventually became known was Sugar Pine Press succeeded The Westwood Independent.

Never miss a story, click here to subscribe.

Susanville, 1916

Susanville view, 1916. Courtesy of Hazel Moller
Susanville view, 1916. Courtesy of Hazel Moller

In January the region was hit a big snowstorm and cold temperatures.  Over four feet of snow fell in Susanville, and to get an idea how cold a storm system it was, Sacramento had three inches of snow. The Susanville residents took the storm in stride, as they had been used to such storms every year since 1907. What they would not be prepared for, was this was the last major snowstorm for the next twenty-one years.

When spring arrived, the big news was Leon Bly announced to the world his Eagle Lake project. He assured everyone this time it would be different than the previous twenty attempts. In addition, to Bly the other big news was the first work on a state highway that would connect Red Bluff and Susanville, though it take until 1929 before it was completed.

The Fourth of July was a big celebration that the town had not had for a couple of years. In 1914 and 1915, Westwood was the host to celebrate the nation’s birthday. This time it was Susanville to be the host, and a good time was had by all. By this time a good nature rivalry between the two communities had developed and in the wild, wacky baseball game, Westwood beat Susanville 10-4.

In the fall, Jules Alexander launched a campaign for the preservation of Peter Lassen’s grave, which a campaign fund soon began to erect a new monument. It would take nearly year, but in the fall of 1917, a new monument was installed and dedicated in conjunction with the dedication of the new Lassen County Courthouse.

Just as the year had begun, it ended in much the same way. On Christmas Day Susanville was coated with four inches of snow.

Never miss a story, click here to subscribe.

 

 

Tunison’s Fried Chicken

Tunison's advertisement in the 1937 Westwood Chipmunk
Tunison’s advertisement in the 1937 Westwood Chipmunk

In the mid-1930s, Bill and Jeanette Tunison established very popular bar, restaurant and gas station five miles east of Westwood near Goodrich Creek. Tunison, it should be noted had been a Westwood resident since 1916. The establishment became very popular in a short order, known for its good food and hospitality. As Marian Hull Herrick recalled, “People would call ahead to see if they serving were Jeanette’s Rum pie that night. People raved about the fried chicken and biscuits. Jeanette confided in me that they were made with Bisquick.”

Never miss a story, click here to subscribe.