Tag Archives: Schools

Constantia School

Constantia School, 1916. -- D.M. Durst Collection
Constantia School, 1916. — D.M. Durst Collection

In 1897 and 1898 the Warm Springs and Junction Schools were formally declared closed by the Superintendent of Schools. Due to that circumstance, no school existed in the extreme southern portion of Lassen County. In 1904, F.C. McDiarmid petitioned the County Superintendent of Schools, J.F. Dixon, to form a new school district in the southernmost portion of Lassen County. McDiarmid cited there were 21 school age children in the proposed district and that the majority of these children resided more than ten miles from the nearest schoolhouse. McDiarmid’s petition was submitted on March 14th and required urgent attention. State law required all new districts be formed before the 5th of April of any year. Dixon urged the Board of Supervisors to approve the District and noted that the Board would need to hold a special meeting to meet the State deadline. The Board of Supervisors held a special meeting on April 4th, with three members in attendance, and approved the formation of the Constantia School District. The District boundaries included the Constantia Ranch and all the territory south to the Sierra County line. Continue reading Constantia School

Lassen College Gunsmithing Program

Lassen College
Lassen College on the Lassen Union High School campus.

Lassen Community College’s Gunsmithing Program will observe its 70th anniversary this year. It is the oldest program of its kind in the nation. Currently, I am seeking additional historical material. If you happen to possess and/or know someone who can assist, please let me know.

The following is from the Lassen Advocate of 5 September 1946 providing a glimpse of the humble origins of the program.

The only gunsmithing course being offered in a college or trade school in the United States is being given this year at Lassen Junior College. Continue reading Lassen College Gunsmithing Program

Hayden Hill School

Hayden Hill School, 1894. Courtesy of Del & Diane Poole
Hayden Hill School, 1894. Courtesy of Del & Diane Poole

Providing service’s to Lassen County’s largest mining community had its challenges. There were, of course, the boom and bust cycles, so its population was always in state of fluctuation. Due to its elevation and harsh winter conditions, many residents sought refuge elsewhere in the winter months.

Those factors influenced educational opportunities at Hayden Hill. In 1872, Perry Edris opened a private school on the Hill. It was not until 1878 that the public school was created. The school opened in the fall of 1878, with Ida Spalding as the teacher of fifteen students. The school remained in operation until 1925, when it closed for lack of students.

On June 1, 1931, the Board of Supervisors offered the schoolhouse for sale. Fred Bunselmeier and Lloyd Walsh purchased the two-story building for approximately $125.

Never miss a story, click here.

Caloreta (Wendel) School

Caloreta School, Wendel, 1916. Courtesy of D.M. Durst Collection
Caloreta School, Wendel, 1916. Courtesy of D.M. Durst Collection

On November 28, 1913, the residents of Wendel petitioned for a school district, they named Caloreta, and the County Board of Supervisors approved it. On August 8, 1914, a bond election for $1,060 was held and approved by its fifteen registered voters. The school building itself is unique as it was constructed from native stone, whereas other rural schools were wooden framed structures. By 1919 the school was defunct. In 1922, the school re-opened, but not as Caloreta. When the Caloreta School District went defunct it was annexed to the Amedee School District. In 1922, the school operations at Amedee were moved to Wendel and occupied the Caloreta schoolhouse. Thus, the Caloreta School was now the Amedee School.

Never miss a story, click here.

Amedee School, Part II

Amedee School Children on the first day of the Big Snow, Tuesday, January 11, 1911. Left to Right: Thelma James, Tom Lally, Minnie Meeske, Fred Meeske, Rita Martin, Sadie Meeske, Norma Jeanne James, Frank Martin and Gregory Martin. Courtesy of Marie Herring Gould
Amedee School Children on the first day of the Big Snow, Tuesday, January 11, 1911. Left to Right: Thelma James, Tom Lally, Minnie Meeske, Fred Meeske, Rita Martin, Sadie Meeske, Norma Jeanne James, Frank Martin and Gregory Martin. Courtesy of Marie Herring Gould

In September 1909, there was a resurgence of prosperity in Amedee and the school re-opened its doors to sixteen students. In 1916, another attempt was made to build a schoolhouse. On April 7,1916, a bond election was held—a $1,500 measure. The bond was approved and it generated a 100% voter turnout, though four of the voters opposed it. Continue reading Amedee School, Part II

Amedee School, Part I

NCO Depot, Amedee, 1899.
NCO Depot, Amedee, 1899.

In the spring of 1892, residents of Amedee petitioned the Lassen County Board of Supervisors to establish a school. The Board denied it. Not to be defeated, the residents opened a private school in September with an enrollment of eighteen students. The residents again petitioned the Board to approve a new district. The Board granted it on January 27,1893, and appointed L.W. Brubeck, E.C. Brown and C.D. Hemmenger as trustees. Continue reading Amedee School, Part I

Soldier Bridge School Conclusion

Soldier Bridge School Bus at Litchfield.
Soldier Bridge School Bus at Litchfield.

In 1916, the school was located on the Gibson/Haley Ranch and it was later relocated to Litchfield. On February 25, 1929, a $10,000 bond election was held to build a new schoolhouse at the Litchfield location and the bond was narrowly approved, 40 for and 37 against. The opponents retained an attorney, Ben V. Curler, to file a protest against the bond measure, the school district, and the County Board of Supervisors, the latter having had the authority to sell the bonds. The opponents argued that there were only 34 students and no prospect of any increase in student enrollment. In addition, they stated, the majority of the voters supporting the bonds were non-taxpayers and while most of the property owners favored a new building, they thought the proposed cost too excessive. On April 10, 1929, the school trustees and the County Board of Supervisors held a joint meeting to seek a solution. They agreed on a smaller school, only $6,500 in bonds was issued to construct the school. In 1951, Soldier Bridge, Standish and Bridgeport Schools were consolidated to form the Shaffer Union Elementary School District.

It is never too late, subscribe today and enjoy tomorrow with daily notifications. You can also surprise someone with a gift subscription

Coppervale

Coppervale, courtesy of Lassen College
Coppervale, courtesy of Lassen College
If you do not have any plans, you may want to attend the fundraiser for the Coppervale Ski Hill tomorrow, Friday,  November 6 from 4-8 pm. It will be held at the Lassen Community College Cafeteria /Student Union, featuring a teriyaki chicken and rice dinner with a salad, roll and a drink as well as live music, door prizes, a raffle and a silent auction. The auction will have prizes that range from boat rentals to wakeboarding, skiing lessons and a homemade bench made of old skis.

All proceeds will help keep Coppervale open. Tickets are available at the LCC Student Union or at Margie’s Book Nook.  The cost for this event is $12 for adults and $8 for children $8. For more information, please call Norm Wilson at (530) 258-7635.

P.S. If you want to know the history behind Coppervale it can be found in Volume 4 of the Red River Series, which includes the history of the roadhouses between Susanville and Westwood.

 

 

Soldier Bridge School: The Early Years

Soldier Bridge School, DeWitt, California. Courtesy of Franklin Dill.
Soldier Bridge School, DeWitt, California. Courtesy of Franklin Dill.

The Soldier Bridge School was located a short distance from the present day Fleming Unit, of the California Department of Fish & Game. The district was established in March 1865 from a division of Susan River (Johnstonville). The first classes were held in the fall of 1865, with Miss Lurana Walker as instructor. In 1883, George W. Fry donated the land where the school had been built. At that time, Honey Lake Lodge #358 of the Independent Order of Good Templars was established and a hall was constructed next to the schoolhouse.

It is never too late, subscribe today and enjoy tomorrow with daily notifications. You can also surprise someone with a gift subscription.