
The Lassen Grain and Milling Company was established in 1917 and located on Richmond Road, Susanville across from the Southern Pacific’s railroad depot. By the 1920s, the beleaguered company was barely holding its own. A major problem facing the company was the lack of grain being grown in the Honey Lake Valley to support the mill.
Enter the Susanville Mill Company. Founded in the fall of 1926, this company took over Lassen Grain. Susanville Mill comprised of three men—B.F. Hutchens, E.B. Birmingham and L.E. Deforest. Hutchens and Birmingham were executives of Fruit Growers Supply Company, while DeFores was well known in the local agricultural community. It was their intent to encourage local ranchers to plant turkey red wheat and provide them with the seed.
After several years of operation the company sold to Bronson & Doyle.










In 1916, William L. Wales, an engineer hired by the Honey Lake Valley Irrigation District, took the above photograph, as part of his exhaustive study to seek water. He proposed diverting annually 33, 962 acre feet from Butte Lake, (no one had ever filed a water right claim to it) . A canal would be constructed from Butte Creek to divert it to Poison Lake, thence onto to Pine Creek to Eagle Lake, through a tunnel there and onto the Honey Lake Valley. Very clever. However, the district was plagued with so many problems in the beginning that it never went past the initial study phase.
Spread the word, and encourage a friend to subscribe